This book is based on experience in teaching digital and wireless communications toundergraduate and postgraduate students at the University of Plymouth for many yearsand on a series of industrial short courses on advanced digital communications. It seems tothe author that there are few books available on the market that are suitable for teaching thesubject with an in-depth knowledge of the up-to-date development in the CDMA wirelesssystems. Most of the currently available books are mainly aimed at engineers with priorknowledge of the subject through their work in industry or in research centres.Therefore, this book provides the principles, standards and applications for the rapidlydeveloping technology and is further enhanced by the author’s own research into the topicover more than two decades. Such experience supports the presentation of complex theoreticalconcepts in a clear and easy to understand rendition. In addition, worked examples,drill exercises and laboratory sessions are included with the text and are used to consolidatethe text’s theoretical concepts. The book commences by presenting solid foundations indigital communications that are essential to an unequivocal understanding of the CDMA technology. In Chapters 3 through to 7 it guides the reader through the fundamentalsand characteristics of cellular CDMA communications. Finally, Chapter 8 introduces theinternational standards adopted for the design of contemporary CDMA wireless systems.
The book is a highly detailed and thorough documentation of the present theories, systemdesign, international standards, and cutting edge research in the CDMA wireless technologyfield, and should be of invaluable assistance to university students throughout theircourse as well as during their industrial employment.The book serves as a text for teaching digital and wireless communications courses at seniorundergraduate and Master levels. Research students studying for a PhD, and graduateengineers working in industry who wish to improve their expertise in the area, will alsofind the book a useful reference text.Main features of the bookThe book has the following important key features:
• Thorough description of the principle concepts of spread spectrum techniques and theirapplications in cellular wireless systems.
• Concise, accurate, clear and user-friendly readability style to provide an enjoyableexperience to the reader.
• Provides worked examples, exercises and practical sessions based on industry recognized software platform.
• Easy-to-follow descriptions of the air interface standards used in cdma2000 and 3G WCDMA systems.
• Clear description of the evolutions of the cdma2000.
• Clear description of the development of the 3G WCDMA for High Speed DownlinkPacket Access (HSDPA).
• Clear description of the development of the 3G WCDMA for High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA).